Fair Warning-This exercise is in response to a fellow blogger @afternoonofsundries who asked me to participate in a challenge requesting I list ten things I love and ten things I hate, as a way to get to know me better. Don’t read unless you really, really want to know more about me.
First of all, thank you for asking me to participate. I appreciate that you have read my blog and that you think I have things to say that you might find interesting. I’m actually pretty excited to do this because it makes me feel like I finally made it into Entertainment Weekly. When this blog is over I might consider writing another one letting you know what’s inside my purse! (You would be so disappointed.)
How to frame this? Well…
1.I LOVE ice cream but I HATE custard. Well, to be honest, I love ice cream and I’ll eat custard, but that has got to be one of the ugliest words I have ever heard. It rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
2. I LOVE my family but I HATE the drama that ebbs and flows throughout the years. I would love to have a year of smooth sailing with no fights, job issues, or health emergencies.
3. I LOVE my son’s school but I HATE feeling like I am not upholding some unknown bargain by not volunteering more. I DO care about his education and his future and I know that by staying with him at home during our free time that he is learning the skills to enhance both.
4. I LOVE shopping but I HATE spending money. I relish the opportunities I have to spend library money on programs and supplies (and I will shop to the last penny) but I won’t spend my own money and spring for the fancy shoes I like unless they’re at least 30 percent off!
5. I LOVE bees but I HATE bees too. I saw my dad get attacked by bees (or were they wasps?) when I was pretty young and I should be traumatized for life. However, I have learned more about them and I find that they are endlessly fascinating.
6. I LOVE exercising but I HATE eating (Lies! All lies!) I like exercising and I love food, but I HATE having to measure every last bite of food and worry about it turning into fat. I just want to eat. Can a girl just eat? Not this girl. Here’s a big eff you to family genes!
7. I LOVE the show Glee and I HATE that it’s over. I would not be writing a blog or considering writing a book without that show. It made me feel like everyone had a voice and chance to be whatever they wanted to be if they just worked hard and believed. (Plus, I got tired of watching 20 year old’s like Chris Colfer and Darren Criss taking over the world and doing all of these awesome things and being ambitious when I was just sitting at home watching them do it.) They kicked me in the butt.
8. I LOVE knowing what’s going on in the world but I HATE how everything I see and hear are the most terrifying and horrible stories that could possibly be reported. I know bad things happen, but so do good things and those stories just don’t get covered enough.
9. I LOVE my house but I HATE how far away it is from Greg’s (my husband) work. He is essentially in the car 3 hours a day! We knew it would be a challenge when we bought this place but it is beginning to become unbearable. Neither of us counted on these feelings to be so overwhelming.
10. I LOVE my son and husband so much and I HATE it when we are not all together. Sometimes separation feels like a relief, but that feeling doesn’t last long and I am more than ready to have The Magic Three back together again.
I invite some of my fellow bloggers to continue this LOVE/HATE exercise. No pressure. Feel free to roll your eyes and continue on with life and tell me to kiss off. My feelings won’t be too hurt. Sniff.
© DRB 2015